Thursday, September 17, 2009

My goal


Okay, so this is a self-motivating post, that hopefully I will read over and over and implement! Sometimes, I need to stop and think about what I say and do. I realized last night that I don't need to say everything that comes to my brilliant mind, no matter how funny I may think it will be. I know, I'm funny, so why shouldn't I say funny things:) (J/K, that was an example). Sometimes, I am in a situation where I want to impress someone or without realizing it, want to be the center of attention (really it is sub-conscience, I don't like a lot of attention thrown my way). And at those moments, my brain goes on "check me out and everything I say mode." And what happens is, I do come up with something brilliant to say, then something funny, and then take that extra step that didn't need to be taken. I need someone to give me the death look when I need to end. Really, I don't think I was that bad, but if the next day I feel like I didn't do a good job about lifting others up or being my best self, then I know I've gone and done it again. So, Self, step 1) start thinking a little before you speak, 2)Run through the outcomes before you open your mouth!, and 3)Make sure everyone around you leaves feeling better about themselves.

See, now I feel better and that I've taken a step in the right direction.

4 comments:

Melissa Christensen said...

Ha! I do the same thing. I just did it at lunch. But you are probably not as bad as me, I insert foot into mouth ALL the time...yikes! Let me know how get a handle on thinking before speaking, I need a few tips.

xoxo
M

Sally said...

Multiply that about times 10 for me! I get so frustrated with myself for this exact same thing. I guarantee you are not bad at all! I can't even picture what you mean. This has come back to bite me so many times. The only good thing is that I see slight improvement over the last 20 years or so...

Bournes said...

I love this post because I totally know how you feel. I've tried the thinking before talking rule...it's HARD! Happy late 30th!! That party sounded AMAZING! I haven't had a party since elementary school!

Katie said...

Lisa- Before I go see my family my mom always reminds me to listen to the Spirit and it will tell me when to talk. Basically, she's telling me to shut my big moth because not everyone likes what I say, but I know what you mean. I guess it's all about knowing your audience. Typical comedian garb.