Friday, June 29, 2007

Why not Law School?


So I have taken the many-years-dreaded plunge back into school. I'm taking classes and studying to get a paralegal certificate. I had my first class this last Tuesday. I was nervous about starting school, but felt better Tuesday morning(thanks guys!). The class was really good. There was so much information presented and a lot of reading I have to do over the weekend, but it was really interesting. I am excited to get back into the student mode. My memory, reading comprehension, writing and analyzing skills, while fine-tuned during college, have suffered due to lack of usage these last few years. So I'm excited to exercise those skills again and really show what I can do:) Right, we'll see how that goes, what can I add to my jamba juice to help me out, I can't remember! Anyway, I'm excited about this new step.

Now, I have been asked the question by a number of people, including dad, why not just go to law school? If I am interested in the law, why go to school to do what lawyers don't want to do themselves, and get paid less then them? Well, I think it's a valid question. First, not all lawyers dump their junk on paralegals, there are defined roles for both professions.(Like Pam, she's not the kind of lawyer to just dump on a paralegal:) Second, I do like the law and have found it very interesting since that high school government class. But I don't necessarily want to be the driving force behind the work. I'm satisfied being given work, moving my way up the paralegal food chain to maybe one day manage other paralegals. I don't really want to have to go out and meet with potential clients or do the courtroom arguing. I'm content doing the research that will direct to the best possible outcome. Maybe one day that will change, but for now, I'm feeling good about this direction.

Except for one thing, my homework is to read the entire U.S. Constitution, does that mean I have to remember everything I read?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

So yes, this comment is like four years too late. But I decided to read your blog from beginning to end, although maybe not in one sitting, because I'd rather do anything rather than homework right about now. Oh how I wish I would have read this BEFORE I started law school and I could have talked to you about it. I wish I would have been a paralegal. So much more conducive to all the things I really want to do in life. I work as a paralegal right now, although I have no formal training, and admittedly I have a dumping boss. Ugh. Maybe I will enjoy this law career once I get out there on my own. Anyway the point of this year long comment is to just say that you my friend, are one smart cookie!