Monday, April 14, 2008

Ozmopolitan and Swankified

I had one of the best weekends ever in a long time, if "defied gravity!" I, along with 3 fabulous and "popular" friends, went up to L.A. to see the musical WICKED! It is now my favorite (but I haven't seen many, so I'm open to anything that can try to dethrone this show, but it will be difficult). The day was beautiful, it was about 90 degrees in Hollywood, but not too stifling. We had lunch at a pizza/sandwich/anything place down the street from the theatre. We noticed that this cafe was right across the street from the Church of Scientology building, where the L. Ron Hubbard life exhibit was up. This attracted an interesting group of people, protesting the beliefs of scientology. Interesting start to the day, but the protesters were all in masks, so they fit in with the "theatre" ambiance.
Around 1:30 we made our way to the theatre to find our seats for the 2pm showing. The Pantages, while probably not as classy as it might have been in its hey day, was still awesome. The Hollywood walk of fame lined the sidewalk and we tried to figure out who many of those stars were, but didn't know very many. But we found Desi Arnez!!
The show was so great! I loved it, almost to a disturbing point as one friend now thinks. But it was great, the effects were great, the singing was FANTASTIC. The actress playing Elphaba was amazing. Her voice was so clear and strong, so great. The story is engaging and keeps you wondering and has so much foreshadowing. Very clever. I had to wonder who really was "wicked" in this story, if anyone has any comments on that, I'd be interested to know what you think. What really makes us "wicked?"
Anyway, after the show, and while were were still on our wicked high, we drove to Downtown Disney on the way home to stop in at ESPN zone for dinner. It was still so nice outside and just fun to walk around. Of course, I loved being in the ESPN zone, with sport updates all around:)
Such a great day!



3 comments:

Megan C. said...

Looks like so much fun, Lisa! I'm so jealous!

3703 said...

Ugh, wicked is the worst. I am sorry you had to sit through it . . . I asked for my money back.

In answer to your question, they are all wicked, except esmerelda, I liked her.

alisa and sometimes brandon said...

First of all, your haircut is SUPER cute!!!

Second of all, I've seen Wicked twice (in LA an Chicago) and it was fantastic both times. Plus you went with wicked-fun girls! I listen to the soundtrack on a regular basis.

I'd answer your Q about who/what is Wicked, but I don't have the brainpower right now. :)