Saturday, November 28, 2009

I think I've been deprived, but Thankful I've found it now.

My sister Celia and I joined my grandparents Christensen and Aunt Karen and Uncle Ronnie in Spring Hill, Tennessee. We have immersed ourself in the southern culture as much as possible. Firstly, the Thanksgiving feast. I was introduced to a new dish, but not new to the south. Corn Pudding. I have been deprived by not enjoying this dish before. My uncle supervised my first attempt at making it. It tasted good to me, and the experts said it tasted good to them, so I guess it turned out okay. I got the recipe from them so I can transport this dish west. My uncle cooked up the turkey perfectly, my aunt showed me how to make HER funeral potatoes recipe, Paula Deen's Old country dressing recipe was cooked up by my uncle and was fabulous and grandma showed us how to make gravy. Add rolls and fruit salad to the mix and this was a fantastic thanksgiving feast. And leftovers for days!



I was able to think about all the things I'm thankful for this year and I have many things. Mainly, I'm thankful for the gospel. I have had a few experiences lately that have taught me how the gospel makes you free. I've seen friends who aren't members of the church, have the consequences of choices they made in the past, come back to find them. I have seen how when we make an early choice to not do something and stick to that decision, we don't have to worry about the bad consequences that may come. The gospel keeps us free. When we have a testimony and choose to follow the commandments, we are more free. I have seen friends lose jobs because of past choices that were made in a moment but affected their lives further down the road. It's been wonderful to turn to my testimony and prayer to find comfort in the gospel. So I'm grateful for that.

I'm also grateful for my family. The more I'm with family, the more I wish I wasn't far away from them. I have loved being with my grandparents, and my aunt and uncle and my sisters this holiday. But even more is that during this holiday, I've felt more that Heavenly Father knows my family and is mindful of them and all that they are going through. While jobs and illness may be tough trials right now, we are watched over. So Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You did a fabulous job on the dinner preparation. We are truly thankful that you are a part of our family. We are thankful that we got to spend some time with you and Celia this holiday season. See you next weekend!

LA Adams said...

So what is Corn Pudding? Sweet, chowdery, baked, like cream corn? There are different kinds of Pudding - what is this?