Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!



I just realized that my blog is incredibly pink and for some reason, my ability to change my font color is gone, so sorry.

It's that time of year again, when the stores are filled with the red hearts filled with candy, florists invest in more than usual amounts of red roses and we who are single attempt to get through the day by giving it another name, like "Friend Appreciation Day" or something to that effect. I looked up the history of this romantic day and found this, check it out sometime:

http://www.history.com/minisites/valentine/viewPage?pageId=882

I think my favorite legend was the one about the Roman soldiers and how they made better fighters if they were single, but St. Valentine was against mandated singleness. Hmm...lesson here?

I'm not really bitter about a lack of a special valentine on this day, actually it has never been that big of deal to me. It was just another possible day to get little decorated cellophane bags filled with candy and a cute little ditty on a card. Never really was much more than that. But as I get a little older, I think it would be fun to make it mean something more, so maybe one day it will. So instead, tonight, I will be together with a group of my friends, eating dinner and decorating baked valentine delights to pass out to all of those in the same boat as me!

It's an interesting idea that we need to set aside a day to tell people we love them...maybe we should do that everyda
y!

0 comments: