Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Seinfeld situational comedy



So I had a Seinfeld moment yesterday. I was walking into Family Home Evening and noticed a casual acquaintance of mine walking into the building in front of me. A little history, this girl and I worked at the temple together for at least 6 months, she occasionally attends my ward also. So as I'm walking up to the door, she holds it open for me and says "Hi Sarah!" Ummm...

I think that she has been calling me this name for about a month now. I haven't really heard her say my name until last week actually. Before I think I missed it, or you know how you assume they are just saying the right thing and don't hear it when they say the wrong thing, your brain tricks your ears into hearing the correct word. Well, I feel like she's spent too long of time calling me the wrong name, that if I corrected her now, it would be awkward. She'd probably think, "Why have you been allowing me to call you the wrong name all this time?" But my thought is, I saw you in the temple every week for 6 months, with my name badge on, how did you miss my name? Anyway, I'm not sure how to tell her my correct name. I'm afraid that she will call me Sarah in front of other people that know me and they will correct her and we will have what could be another awkward situation. I'm trying to remember how George fixed this, but his solutions tended to make it worse...

Another side note, this morning while walking into work, a man ran by me in spandex man-pris. I've never seen that before and have to tell you, it just doesn't work. Men should not wear capris or spandex and definitely should not combine the two.

1 comments:

Kathy said...

I have name memory issues sometimes.

You know:

Immediate family: Wife, Kids and Grandkids. OK all the time.

Immediate extended Family: Parents & In-laws, Brothers, Sisters & In-laws and Their Families. OK most of the time.

Larger Immediate extended family I grew up with: Grandparents, Aunts & Uncles, Cousins and their families: It is getting worse as I mature and they multiply.

Larger still Extended family I grew up knowing and seeing regularly within 100 miles. Being in the church I still run into often. Sometimes it’s real bad.

Church. Kathy and I in the same Ward and Stake for more than 20 years. Plus, the Stake I grew up in now has 15 Stakes + in the same area and our stake is one of them. Stake callings, Ward callings, Regional activities & Friends with lots of kids mixed in. Sometimes really, really bad.

Work. 250 +/- Office people 1 ½ years ago. I recognized most of them. Added 300+ in the last year and a half. Not so good anymore.

As I mature I pray that when the resurrection comes all those names lost in the gray data base server will come to light again in a manageable format.

Love, Uncle Tim