Monday, March 31, 2008

Ready, Ready, Ready to Run

So on Saturday, I ran my first ever race, a 5k in Balboa Park for the cause of Autism. I don't claim to be a runner by any means, but I am quite happy with the outcome. I have been "training" for this for a few weeks, running every day with a friend. We've run 2.5 miles to 4.5 miles every day. So race day came and I was a little excited to put all my effort into the race. I had been running a steady 10 minute paced mile throughout our training. Well, when I passed the mile 1 marker, the time of 8:30 was called out! I have NEVER run a mile that fast before in my life. Needless to say, I got to the end of the 3.2 mile race in a time of 27:17!! I kept up a 8:38/mile pace through the whole thing. My goal was to run the 3.2 miles in 30 minutes, so just a tad under 10 min/mile. I surprised myself.

Next goal: a 10k-6.4 miles. We'll see how that goes. The eventual goal by the end of the year, a 1/2 marathon. Anyone know of a good one in the West at the end of this year?

1 comments:

Allison said...

Way to go Lisa! You are a champ and a half! I am soooo impressed. You should come run the Provo River trail half with me in August. It is honestly my favorite. It is such a pretty run that follows from Deer Creek down to the Riverwoods in Provo. Come!! All the cool kids are doing it!