Thursday, October 30, 2008

Just a few more days...


The election season is coming to a close. Next Tuesday Californian's will vote either Yes or No on Proposition 8. And this week a friend of mine reminded me of what this is all really about. For some it's about the legalities of marriage. For those who are no on Prop 8 it may be that they feel rights are being taken away, or that we are discriminating against a group of people who happen to be different than many of us. I can see the arguments from both sides and agree wholeheartedly with Yes on Prop 8 for one reason. Marriage between a man and a woman is a sacred relationship that is at the heart of the Plan of Salvation that Heavenly Father has given us. Families are fundamental to this plan. And families started in a temple is the ultimate goal. If a marriage between ANY two people is allowed, churches could be sued and told by the government to perform marriages that may go against the belief of the church, under a governmental mandate that we can't discriminate who we marry. So for me, this is a vote to keep the family instituted by God the way he created it, between a man and a woman, with the possibility of being married in the temple and continuing for all time. That's what it's about.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Im glad SOMEONE finally brought up the taxing issue. I recently read up and saw all the fine print about churches and temples, taxes and lawsuits, not to mention school curriculum. Prop 8 is way more involved than just 'marriage' issues.

thanx for keeping us updated!

Bournes said...

Hey Lisa!! I just caught up on all your postings...FINALLY. I'm a blog slacker. I'm glad you voice your educated opinion so nicely...I couldn't agree more with ya! (and your blog about you falling made me laugh...not at you though) Oh, also...I KNOW LORIE KING. We just figured it all out when we went to the temple together that we know the same people. Anyway, I told her how cool you are but I'm sure she already knows that having lived with ya. I'll try to stay more updated by reading more often. Thanks for the good reads.